Friday, October 12, 2007

Overalls and Invisible Zippers

Still no baby yet... tick-tock...

I've been anxious for fall to come so I could start making embellished overalls for Sydney and her friends and I'm smitten! So fun and generally easy - here's a pair that I finished up yesterday morning (for Syd's friend, Amelia - her mom absolutely loves the lime star paisley print, so this set was an easy one for me to pick fabrics for):




The next pair will be for Sydney (I found a practically new pair of Osh 'Gosh overalls yesterday at the second -hand store for $1.50!), using these fabrics from Heather Ross: (I can't get enough of these little fish!).



Don't know if I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine up here, Michelle, is also pregnant (due today!) and we have a strange feeling that we'll be in labor the same time next week...

Anyways, I started working on a few things for her last night - one of which is a boppy cover. I've made them before using a velcro closure, but wanted to try and use an invisible zipper. I've never put one in before, but I picked up one of those handy little plastic COATS Invisible Zipper Foot kits at Joanne's a while back in case I ever got inspired.

Well, I sat there for a while, staring at this package... hoping that the scant directions they give would process somehow in my brain. No luck. I headed to the computer with fingers crossed, hoping that some nice crafter would have a lovely tutorial for me to learn from. I was in luck, and found THIS TUTORIAL on the blog: Sew? I Knit! Again, thank you, thank you, thank you Cyndi! I've now added this tutorial to my sidebar :)

I used the kit to insert the zipper for one cover, using this print:


But for the next one (I made a new one for our Baby as well - Sydney LOVES to carry the bolt of this fabric (which calls "oofs"):

around the house, so I figured she might also like to "help" carry the pillow when Baby comes), I tried using my regular zipper foot and it worked perfectly. Luck? Who knows.... but at least I know how to use the darned kit now!

PS: Isn't this Swedish duvet & sham set from Pottery Barn adorable?!



Off to start the day - have a great weekend everyone! ~ Kris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay you're in big trouble for posting that swedish duvet cover... I must have it. Cute overalls, too.

Allyson Hill said...

oooooh I loooove it!

Allyson Hill said...

Um, how is it that I've not realized that you are pregnant and about to pop??? Holy Smokes!