Monday, December 18, 2006

I have a new found respect for...

my sewing machine... but not for the reasons that you might think. Sure, it's seen me through many-a-belt and bag, and, unlike my last machine, hasn't croaked on me unexpectedly (yet).. and sure, I know it's a pretty strong and sturdy machine... but I never thought that it could actually stitch STRAIGHT THROUGH MY FINGER. I have *no* idea how I did it. I was happily sewing along my merry way (making a last-minute Christmas gift of course) when I suddenly found my finger stuck under the presser foot, with the needle completely through the middle of my nail bed. My initial reaction was to stare in disbelief. Then I tried to pull out my finger. Duh. Finally figured out that I needed to raise the presser foot and needle to get my finger out. Sometime during all of this I called for my husband, who was peacefully drifting off to sleep. He met me in the bathroom and we (he) administered some quick first aide. I sat huddled on the bathroom floor, still shocked that I was actually stupid enough to do this! Frank of course said "I guess you're done sewing for the night". What?! No way my dear hubby! They really don't *get* this whole Christmas gift making thing. After we found out that my tetanus shot is still good for another year, I headed back to the craft room :) I was shocked to see that not a drop of blood got on the fabric! Maybe someone *is* looking out for me up there... Sure, it hurts like *#&! right now, but at least I got one more Christmas gift done (an adorable apron from Amy Butler's new book IN STITCHES). And I'm convinced that it would have hurt more had I stopped everything and read for the rest of the night.

I have one more Christmas gift to make, and then I think I'm done with the hand-made goodies. I've tried to get organized and bought a board to hang over the sewing table on which I am writing the various projects in my TO DO pile. Visual reminders work wonders for me for some reason. I also like to cross things off of lists - whatever the reason, it works!

Let's see... things that I've finished up this week:

* A toddler tote for Nick, an adorable 4 yr. old boy who loves Spidey and Batman. The tote has fabrics of both characters on the outside and inside pockets.

* Some belts with drawstring bags for Nick's Mom, Michelle, to give as gifts for some of her family. I used the large recipe card bag pattern that it is in IN STITCHES and it was the perfect size!

* I was able to make another of my new favorite patchwork purse (for a x-mas gift). This time I added a zipper to the top (I'm trying to get over my irrational fear of zippers).



* Some knit scarves: pictures to come. I'm bummed now b/c I was going to start working on a fun purple scarf for my niece, Jordan, but I think my finger may be out of commission for a while. Urgh. I hate stupidity.

Hope everyone's not going too nutty with the last of Christmas preparations! We finally cut down a tree today and it's in the house. It hasn't a strand of lights on it yet... we don't want to rush things!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I sewed through my finger once, the side not all the way through the nail bed. I think I would have passed out. You're a trooper to keep on sewing.
The patchwork purse looks great. How do you make the beaded handles?

SilverLining Designs said...

Oh my Gosh!!! My stomach is doing knots and cringes as I read your post about your finger. You don't know how many times I have thought of that exact same thing happening to me as I merrily sew along. Thank goodness it hasn't. I don't know how you were able to pull that needle out without fainting. You are a trooper. A couple of weeks ago I stepped on a thumb tack went right into my heel. Had to pull it out like it was stuck into a message board... not nice. I didn't check my tenanus, but so far my jaw hasn't locked up nor has my foot fallen off, so I guess I am ok.

You have made some great stuff. The patchwork purse is beautiful and I love the way you made the handle.

Hope your finger heels quickly.
Merry Christmas